[Openstack] Using OpenStack in a CI/CD runway

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Thu Mar 20 19:10:52 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I've tried to look this up online but all I seem to get is information about continuous integration/distribution in the OpenStack project itself and not much of anything concerning using OpenStack as part of a CI/CD runway to production.

Maybe the answers are obvious to those already involved in these things. Please forgive the ignorance that is surely about to ensue.

One point I'm stuck on (and several online resources mention this only in passing) is how to build a new image on the fly based on an existing image, adding a new version of code from the repository. There seems to be many ways to do this and for someone coming at this as a newbie it's very hard to figure out a good path. Is there a tool that can produce a new image from an existing one plus some extra stuff? And if so, can it be automated?

Concerning the runway itself, do people use Jenkins (or its equivalent) to orchestrate the whole thing? Or can Heat handle it all on its own? Or maybe Puppet (or its equivalent) can do it all.

As you can see, I'm casting about for answers. I apologize if these questions are naive. This is an important project in my company; it will determine whether we go ahead with OpenStack or scrap it completely. I need to find a solution that incorporates OpenStack into a continuous integration/distribution system.

Thanks,
Daniel Ellison