[Openstack] configure openVswitch to send traffic from compute node connected to trunk port

Ramprasad Velavarthipati rampras.vm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 20:35:19 UTC 2014

Hello All,

I need your inputs in following networking scenario:

I bring up 2 VM's in a compute Node
assigned 2 different virtual networks each for 1 VM
Each VM gets an virtual IP address
Is it possible to configure OpenVswitch such that each virtual IP is given
a  vlan and pass the vlan traffic to outside physical port that is
connected to Trunk port of a switch?
VM1 and VM2 shouldnt talk to each other without passing through the trunk
port

Example:
VM1 gets a virtual IP address lets say 10.0.0.20/24., I will assign a vlan
lets say vlan 10(access port).,

VM2 gets a virtual  IP address lets say 10.10.0.20/24., I will assign a
vlan lets say vlan20(access port)

My physical interface of the compute node is ETH0., connected to trunk port
of a switch.,

VM1 and VM2 shouldnt talk to each other until and unless they pass through
the trunk and gets the packet processed further..

Is it possible to do that via OpenVswitch??

-Ram