[Openstack] Why is Neutron OVS topology the way it is?

Dan Nanni xmodulo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 14:42:30 UTC 2014

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.  You are right.

I found that from the OpenStack documentation as well:

"Ideally, the TAP device vnet0 would be connected directly to the
integration bridge, br-int. Unfortunately, this isn't possible because of
how OpenStack security groups are currently implemented. OpenStack uses
iptables rules on the TAP devices such as vnet0 to implement security
groups, and Open vSwitch is not compatible with iptables rules that are
applied directly on TAP devices that are connected to an Open vSwitch port."

http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/openstack-network/admin/content/under_the_hood_openvswitch.html

Thanks again for your clarification.

-Dan

--