[Openstack] Metadata config with both VLAN and FLAT networks

Lillie Ross-CDSR11 Ross.Lillie at motorolasolutions.com
Thu Mar 6 23:07:03 UTC 2014

We’d like our Openstack configuration to provide 2 ways to obtain an address on our campus network.

First, I’ve defined an EXTERNAL network and attached a subnet from which floating IP addresses can be allocated.  Then, in normal fashion, instance boot into a private tenant network and can be associated with a public IP address or not, as needed.  In this case, the proper NAT entries get created allowing instances to reach the metadata service.

I’ve also configured a FLAT shared network and associated additional subnets from our campus network.  When booting instances and selecting this network for their NIC attachment, the instance comes up directly on a routable address within our campus.  However the proper NAT rule is not being added to the iptables which would allow the instances to talk to the metadata service.

Assuming a subnet attached to the FLAT network is a /24 subnet with the default router at x.x.x.1 - what’s the iptable rule that needs to be manually added to iptables to allow instances to reach the metadata service.

Hopefully this is clear.  Additional info can be provided if necessary.

Thanks in advance,
Ross

--
Ross Lillie