[Openstack] Instances Location and Space Occupied

Georgios Dimitrakakis giorgis at acmac.uoc.gr
Wed Mar 5 14:40:46 UTC 2014

 I have an OpenStack installation with one compute and one controller
 node.

 The location of the instances is at:

 /var/lib/nova/instances at the compute node

 I would like to know the following:

 1) If there is a way to move it to /home or any other partition without
 breaking OpenStack. I don't mind to shutdown all instances. But I want
 after moving it to be able to power them on.

 Would it be safer if I just moved the entire "nova" dir or just the
 "instances" dir?
 Where do I configure the path in OpenStack?

 Besides "nova*" are there any other services that have to be restarted
 in order for the new settings to apply?

 2) Inside /var/lib/nova/instances there is another directory called:

 "_base"

 which appears to have a lot of data like ephemeral, swap and files with
 name like this:

 "11dad6463b5e8b75d3e6bce75711cc889433b9a0"

 Is it OK if I completely remove this dir??

 I can keep the ephemeral* and swap* files but the rest are taking a lot
 of space, so I 'd like to delete them.

 Best,

 G.