[Openstack] Instances created using nova compute aren't visible in ESXi

Upendra Sahu upendrasahu20 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 04:08:51 UTC 2014

I have a ESXi hypervisor (Host1) on which I have installed a VM1 based on
Ubuntu 12.4 LTS server. Now I installed single Node Openstack in this VM1.
Host1 when viewed using vSphere Client has one vm VM1.

As the single node openstack is installed in VM1, created one instance
(ins1) in VM1. This ins1 is based on Cirros where the image used is
cirros-0.3.0-x86_64-disk.img. Now the openstack VM1 has a ins1 which can be
logged into from VM1.

here is my query. Since there has been a instance ins1 created, as per my
understand of openstack this ins1 should be visible from the vSphere
Client. i.e now vSphere Client should show one VM i.e VM1 on which
Openstack is installed and ins1 the instance VM created through openstack.

Is that understanding wrong.

But when I viewed Host1 through Vsphere client, only one VM i.e VM1 alone
is visible not the ins1. Is that anything I am doing wrong in the setup.

Thanks,
Upendra