[Openstack] [Swift] Optimizing single node Swift instance

Shrinand Javadekar shrinand at maginatics.com
Sat Mar 1 22:25:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have single node Swift instance running in a VM. It has: 4 cores, 16
GB memory and 300GB SSD disk

I want to get the best possible throughput from this Swift instance
when, say 100 clients are writing data concurrently. Are there any
recommendations to achieve this?

So far, I've tried the following:

1. I tweaked the # of workers threads in the config files and it seems
that I get best results when I have:

# grep workers *.conf
account-server.conf:workers = 16
container-server.conf:workers = 16
object-server.conf:workers = 64
proxy-server.conf:workers = 64

2. I am fine with not using SSL.
3. Sharding data across multiple containers also gives me better results.

I think I also observed better throughput with larger objects, but the
object size I need to work with cannot be changed. I have to 64K
objects.

With these options, the best I got was ~20MB/s, whereas a simple dd
shows that the disk is capable of ~128MB/s (1Gbps).

Are there other options that I can tweak for getting better throughput?

Thanks in advance.
-Shri