[Openstack] Architectural question

Andrew Mann andrew at divvycloud.com
Thu Jun 26 17:38:22 UTC 2014

In my experience the networking is by far the hardest part of the setup,
though the entire manual setup of openstack is mostly an exercise in
whether you can follow ~150 steps without making a typing error. I have
some bash scripts we use here to quickly setup a test stack using intel NUC
/ gigabyte brix systems. I can send those your way if you want.

Here's my nova.conf - you'll have to fill in data for about 25% of the
lines, and make sure 'controller' resolves to the management IP of the
controller node from the compute host.  Everything wrapped in ${} needs to
be replaced.  If you didn't use the openstack setup guide for the rest of
the setup you may need to change other values (ports/usernames).  If you're
not using Neutron for networking you'll need to change a lot.

[DEFAULT]
dhcpbridge_flagfile=/etc/nova/nova.conf
dhcpbridge=/usr/bin/nova-dhcpbridge
logdir=/var/log/nova
state_path=/var/lib/nova
lock_path=/var/lock/nova
force_dhcp_release=True
iscsi_helper=tgtadm
libvirt_use_virtio_for_bridges=True
connection_type=libvirt
root_helper=sudo nova-rootwrap /etc/nova/rootwrap.conf
verbose=True
ec2_private_dns_show_ip=True
api_paste_config=/etc/nova/api-paste.ini
volumes_path=/var/lib/nova/volumes
enabled_apis=ec2,osapi_compute,metadata
ec2_dmz_host=controller

# Use keystone for auth
auth_strategy=keystone

# Use RabbitMQ
#rpc_backend = nova.rpc.impl_kombu
rpc_backend = rabbit
rabbit_host = controller
rabbit_userid = guest
rabbit_password = ${RABBIT_PASSWORD}

# VNC Service setup
vnc_enabled=True
vncserver_listen=0.0.0.0

# The next 2 entries must have the management IP of this compute node
my_ip = ${COMPUTE_NODE_IP}
vncserver_proxyclient_address = ${COMPUTE_NODE_IP}

# The next 2 entries should point to the public IP of the vnc proxy
(controller) node
novncproxy_base_url = http://${CONTROLLER_PUBLIC_IP}:6080/vnc_auto.html
xpvvncproxy_base_url = http://${CONTROLLER_PUBLIC_IP}:6081/console

# Glance image storage
glance_host = controller

# OpenVSwitch Networking using Neutron
network_api_class = nova.network.neutronv2.api.API
neutron_url = http://controller:9696
neutron_auth_strategy = keystone
neutron_admin_tenant_name = service
neutron_admin_username = neutron
neutron_admin_password = ${NEUTRON_KEYSTONE_PASSWORD}
neutron_admin_auth_url = http://controller:35357/v2.0
linuxnet_interface_driver = nova.network.linux_net.LinuxOVSInterfaceDriver
firewall_driver = nova.virt.firewall.NoopFirewallDriver
security_group_api = neutron
service_neutron_metadata_proxy=True
neutron_metadata_proxy_shared_secret = ${NEUTRON_METADATA_SECRET}

# Ceilometer usage tracking
instance_usage_audit = True
instance_usage_audit_period = hour
notify_on_state_change = vm_and_task_state
notification_driver = nova.openstack.common.notifier.rpc_notifier
notification_driver = ceilometer.compute.nova_notifier

[database]
connection=connection = mysql://nova:${NOVA_DB_PASSWORD}@controller/nova

[keystone_authtoken]
auth_uri = http://controller:5000
auth_host = controller
auth_port = 35357
auth_protocol = http
admin_tenant_name = service
admin_user = nova
admin_password = ${NOVA_KEYSTONE_PASSWORD}

--
Andrew Mann
DivvyCloud Inc.