[Openstack] Architectural question

O'Reilly, Dan Daniel.OReilly at dish.com
Thu Jun 26 15:45:38 UTC 2014

I'm building a cloud and have a question about architecture/viability.  Right now, I have the following configuration:

-          Controller node running RHEL 6.5

-          Network node running RHEL 6.5

-          5 node Ceph cluster for block and object storage

-          3 compute nodes:

o   1 running RHEL 6.5 and VMware as the hypervisor

o   1 running RHEL 6.5 and KVM as the hypervisor

o   1 running CentOS 6.5 and Xen as the hypervisor

The basic question is on the compute nodes.  I'm doing 3 different hypervisors to do a best-of-breed study (each will be in its own availability zone).  Hence, one of each type.  But is it even possible to have 3 compute nodes like this, and if so, how do I configure the compute software that runs on the controller node to handle this; and how do I configure each of the 3 compute nodes as well?

Dan O'Reilly
UNIX Systems Administration
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CF9123.62AA13F0]
9601 S. Meridian Blvd.