[Openstack] [Swift] PUT requests sensitive to latency?

Shrinand Javadekar shrinand at maginatics.com
Thu Jun 26 05:57:39 UTC 2014

Hey Edward,

Thanks for the explanation. I had a discussion regarding this on the
openstack-swift irc channel yesterday. Sam Merrit mentioned pretty much the
points that you mention here.

To confirm this, I actually bumped up the client_chunk_size
and object_chunk_size in the proxy-server.conf as well as disk_chunk_size
and network_chunk_size in the object-server.conf and ran the same
experiment. As expected these did not change the results. The client which
is farther still results in slower PUT times compared to the closer one.

Also, I know that a single node swift cluster can have multiple replicas. I
meant to say that my setup has a single node Swift instance with a single
replica.

Just to summarize:

* In my setup, the object server is writing the data to SSDs. So the IO
cost of writing to the storage is less.
* The proxy-server and object-server are co-located. So communication
between them is fast.
* Therefore the dominating factor affecting the time taken by PUT requests
is the network latency between client and swift proxy-server.
* Optimizing this would require tweaking either the TCP options on the
client and server machines or changing the socket options appropriately in
the application code.

-Shri