[Openstack] [Nova] Admin pass injection in launch libvirt/kvm instance

Juerg Haefliger juergh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 07:50:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 9:07 AM, Wangpan <hzwangpan at corp.netease.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I debug the process of libvirt admin password injection, I found
everything is OK before the instance is booting up,
> the /etc/shadow is modified normally, such as:
> Wangpan at 10-120-120-7:/tmp/openstack-vfs-localfsX_J5ke/etc$ sudo cat shadow
> root:$1$n1j7WavS$FYuXUja3LSUvwOT8yqyt2/:15822:0:99999:7:::
> daemon:*:15822:0:99999:7:::
> bin:*:15822:0:99999:7:::
>
> but after the instance is running up, I login it by ssh+keypair, I cat
this file again, it is changed like this:
> root at t1:~# cat /etc/shadow
> root:!$1$n1j7WavS$FYuXUja3LSUvwOT8yqyt2/:15822:0:99999:7:::
> daemon:*:15822:0:99999:7:::
> bin:*:15822:0:99999:7:::
>
> the difference is:
> root:$1$n1j7WavS$FYuXUja3LSUvwOT8yqyt2/:15822:0:99999:7:::      (before
running up)
> root:!$1$n1j7WavS$FYuXUja3LSUvwOT8yqyt2/:15822:0:99999:7:::     (after
running up)
> you can find that a '!' prefix is added to the encrypted password, if I
remove it, then I can login the instance by VNC successfully!
> I don't know what happened? anyone can help me?

What image is this?

Probably cloud-init locking the root password. Check /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg
for:
lock_passwd: True

...Juerg

> thanks!

> Wangpan

will modify /etc/ssh/sshd_config to disable authentication private key
(rsa): (Example Ubuntu 13.10)

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix

> Good luck for U !
>
> P/S: Thắng: Tính năng này là tính năng chèn password ngay khi khởi tạo
máy, mình thực hiện tốt trên KVM

> tu0ng_c0ng
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Thang Pham <thang.g.pham at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hi Wangpan,
>>
>> Injecting admin password is not implemented or supported in libvirt/kvm.
 I believe only Xen supports it.

>> Regards,
>> Thang
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:36 PM, Wangpan <hzwangpan at corp.netease.com>
wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I want to inject admin password to a libvirt/kvm instance, and I enable
the config libvirt_inject_password=true on the compute node,
>>> I also find the /etc/shadow file in the instance is changed, but when I
use the adminPass to login the instance from vnc, it is failed.
>>> I find that the admin password is encrypted in
nova/virt/disk/api.py:_set_password() method,
>>> evenif I encrypt my adminPass and replace the root password in
/etc/shadow manually, I can't login the instance with vnc.

>>> My questions are:
>>> 1) Does this admin password injection function of libvirt driver
useable? In other words, my issue is a bug or not?
>>> 2) Are there some special details I was losing sight of? such as any
configs should change?
>>> 3) Is this function depends on the libc version?
>>>
>>> BTW, I'm using stable havana and booting a debian7 instance, and this
is the admin guide page of this function:

http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/admin-password-injection.html