[Openstack] [Nova] Admin pass injection in launch libvirt/kvm instance

Wangpan hzwangpan at corp.netease.com
Wed Jun 25 03:36:22 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I want to inject admin password to a libvirt/kvm instance, and I enable the config libvirt_inject_password=true on the compute node,
I also find the /etc/shadow file in the instance is changed, but when I use the adminPass to login the instance from vnc, it is failed.
I find that the admin password is encrypted in nova/virt/disk/api.py:_set_password() method,
evenif I encrypt my adminPass and replace the root password in /etc/shadow manually, I can't login the instance with vnc.

My questions are:
1) Does this admin password injection function of libvirt driver useable? In other words, my issue is a bug or not?
2) Are there some special details I was losing sight of? such as any configs should change?
3) Is this function depends on the libc version?

BTW, I'm using stable havana and booting a debian7 instance, and this is the admin guide page of this function:
http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/admin-password-injection.html

thanks!

Wangpan