[Openstack] compute node should have same type of cpu when live migration?

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Tue Jun 24 07:58:01 UTC 2014

> Hi,all
>  Today when I test instance live migration in
> CLI (nova live-migration --block-migrate
>  0b30368a-2eaf-42e5-918a-f855bad91f63 Compute02) ,I encounterd the following error massages:
>
> But when I use dashboard
> to migrate the vm,it appears to success.I'm using Havana version.
>
>  My Compute nodes' CPU are :
>     Compute01:Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5405 @ 2.00GHz *2
>    Compute02:Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5335 @ 2.00GHz *2

Walter,

I know there are quite a few different code-paths for semi-similar functionality :(
As far as I know using the dashboard will not issue a block migration.
I *guess* it will do a non-live migration if there is no shared storage.

Concerning the CPU issues:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1082414

For live migrations without shared storage there is also this bug to take in account:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1270825

I'm not sure what the state of migrations is in Icehouse.
There were talks to move the migration tasks to the conductor/schedule(?) in the codebase but I haven't read anything in the release notes about this.

Seems like there is still some room for improvement here...

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen