[Openstack] Why doesn't suspend release vCPUs/memory?

Andrew Mann andrew at divvycloud.com
Tue Jun 24 03:07:09 UTC 2014

Playing the cynic, in a cloud ecosystem, users are "greedy".  If there is a
benefit to the organization of suspending, then an ideal situation would
pass along a benefit to the user as well.  Otherwise, the busy user is
disinclined to suspend because doing so has a cost in the form of instance
state management without any corresponding benefit to the user.  Lack of
cloud-wide resources is "IT's problem, not mine".  As it stands today, the
suspend functionality only seems useful for cloud users that are also cloud
admins.

Andrew Mann
DivvyCloud Inc.
www.divvycloud.com