[Openstack] Renewing keystone signing certs

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Mon Jun 23 19:28:44 UTC 2014

On 06/23/2014 02:38 AM, Sam Morrison wrote:
> OK this is looking really scary, (unless I’m missing something…..)
>
> In havana and icehouse, services will only download the signing cert if it doesn’t exist. So if you replace it on the keystone server it will continue to use the existing cert.
>
> Ideally you should be able to push out both the current and the new signing cert to all hosts. Then replace the signing cert in keystone that way old and new tokens will work with no downtime
>
> I’m starting to think with the current way keystone does this it’s going to mean a cloud wide outage to replace the signing certs?

It might be possible to work around this.

I have not tested yet, but it might be possible to deploy a file with
both the old an new certs in it to verify the tokens.

It would be fairly manual, but the process should be something like this:

1.  Generate a new certificate key and certificate on the keystone
machine, but not overwriting the existing /etc/keystone/ssl directory
2.  Append the new certificate to the old certificate
3.  Replace the certificates in the remote services (one at a time) with
the "dual certificate" file and   confirm that everything still works.
4.  Replace the key and signing file in the Keystone server with the new one

I'll run a quick test to see if the dual cert thing works