[Openstack] OpenStack "Soft Reboot Instance" does not gracefully restart Instances

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 23:47:37 UTC 2014

Hey Anne, tks for your reply!

In fact, I would like to reconfigure the action of "*Shut Off Instance*",
accessible from Horizon menu.

The action "Soft Reboot Instance" *works okay*. But, "*Shut Off Instance*"
destroys it and I would like to make it work like "virsh shutdown
instance-XXX" instead...

I would like to "Shut Off Instance" using acpi (like pushing power off
button of real hardware), just like "Soft Reboot Instance" does (using
acpi) for rebooting it...

I can check this by connecting at the instance via ssh, to watch the reboot
/ halt, like this:

By clicking on "Soft Reboot Instance", from within it, I'm seeing:

---
ssh ubuntu at instance-0047

ubuntu at instance-0047:~$ sudo -i

root at instance-0047:~# tail -f /var/log/syslog

Broadcast message from root at instance-0047
        (unknown) at 20:24 ...

*The system is going down for halt NOW!*
*Power button pressed *
Jun 21 20:24:25 instance-0047 kernel: Kernel logging (proc) stopped.
Jun 21 20:24:25 instance-0047 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd"
swVersion="5.8.6" x-pid="881" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] exiting on
signal 15.
Connection to 10.19.0.59 closed by remote host.
Connection to 10.19.0.59 closed.
---

...it works as expected...

But, when I click at "Shut Off Instance", then, *the instance is simple
destroyed!* The ssh session into the instance *froze*, and I'm not seeing
that "Power button pressed" message from within it. I believe that this
isn't expected... Am I right?!

Thanks,
Thiago