[Openstack] GRE tunnel

Akilesh K akilesh1597 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 11:58:16 UTC 2014

Openstack support multi tenant networks. That means two tenants may use the
same network space. There must be some other way to isolate the networks of
different tenants. So every network in Openstack is assigned a special
segmentation id. In case of gre the segmentation id is the tunnel id. In
case of vlan mode the segmentation id becomes the vlan id.
I have some more detailed information in the below posts

http://fosskb.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/managing-openstack-internaldataexternal-network-in-one-interface/
http://fosskb.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/l2-connectivity-in-openstack-using-openvswitch-mechanism-driver/