[Openstack] Libguestfs in Icehouse with ubuntu 14

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Jun 17 14:31:48 UTC 2014

[Sorry this email is not threaded correctly -- I was not subscribed
to the mailing list before]

> *Failed to close augeas aug_close: call launch before using this function**

>From an end-user point of view, if it's a warning, I wouldn't worry
too much.

For developers, this is a problem.  It indicates that there is a path
through the Nova code, which is supposed to be doing something like
this:

  g = guestfs.GuestFS ()   # allocate the handle
  g.add_drive (...)
  g.launch ()              # launch the backend
  g.aug_init (...)
  g.aug_close ()
  g.shutdown ()            # shutdown the backend (undoes launch)
  g.close ()               # free the handle (undoes __init__)

But in fact what must be happening is one of these:

 (1) g.launch () is not being called, or

 (2) g.launch () is throwing an exception which is being ignored, or

 (3) the backend crashes or is killed, and the exception which would
     have been thrown when that happened (from one of the other method
     calls) is being ignored

Without more information it's hard to tell.  As usual what's really
needed here is for libguestfs debugging information to be collected by
Nova logging.  There's a bug open about this:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1279857

Rich.