[Openstack] Please help with this architecture

Eric Berg eberg at rubensteintech.com
Mon Jun 16 22:32:39 UTC 2014

Thanks, Remo.

Are you saying that there's no pre-configuration of the network
interfaces required for a packstack install?  I am using packstack. My
packstack file is below.

Regarding neutron, I banged on it for a week or two and it seemed like
serious overkill for a config with a single control host and one or two
compute hosts with no network host.  I want to route tenant traffic for
each compute box separately.   Neutron just seems like way more trouble
than its worth for a very small implementation.  I got it to work for an
allinone install, but the move to multiple hosts left me frustrated and
disgusted.  Plus, we're a small shop and the obtuse nature of neutron
networking led me to decide that it would be irresponsible to implement
our cloud based on technology that was effectively unsupportable.  I'm
sure neutron is just lovely if you have a team of network engineers
available to support it.    The architecture that was requested of me is
to have two hosts that handle everything and fail over for one another.
We currently have one host running release 2.x for the past few years.
When I started down this path, that's what we thought we'd be setting
up.  Nova with flat networking is as close as I've been able to get to
an architecture that uses few hosts, avoids the single point of failure
network host and I could get it to work.

So, I'm still left with the question of how to pre-configure my
network.  My approach again is to use my first nic (em1) with no ip, but
as a member of the br100 bridge for primary tenant traffic.  The 2nd NIC
will be used for mgmt/api and will get a standard IP and will reside on
a separate private vlan.

We also want to have a back net which will carry traffic between, for
example, the databases and the web servers, but which will not be
accessible directly from the public network.  I think I can make that
happen with another virtual network without too much problem.

Here's my packstack answers file.

[general]
CONFIG_SSH_KEY=/root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
CONFIG_MYSQL_INSTALL=y
CONFIG_GLANCE_INSTALL=y
CONFIG_CINDER_INSTALL=y
CONFIG_NOVA_INSTALL=y
CONFIG_NEUTRON_INSTALL=n
CONFIG_HORIZON_INSTALL=y
CONFIG_SWIFT_INSTALL=y
CONFIG_CEILOMETER_INSTALL=y
CONFIG_HEAT_INSTALL=n
CONFIG_CLIENT_INSTALL=y
CONFIG_NTP_SERVERS=
CONFIG_NAGIOS_INSTALL=y
EXCLUDE_SERVERS=
CONFIG_DEBUG_MODE=y
CONFIG_VMWARE_BACKEND=n
CONFIG_VCENTER_HOST=
CONFIG_VCENTER_USER=
CONFIG_VCENTER_PASSWORD=
CONFIG_VCENTER_CLUSTER_NAME=
CONFIG_MYSQL_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_MYSQL_USER=root
CONFIG_MYSQL_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_AMQP_SERVER=rabbitmq
CONFIG_AMQP_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_AMQP_ENABLE_SSL=n
CONFIG_AMQP_ENABLE_AUTH=n
CONFIG_AMQP_NSS_CERTDB_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_AMQP_SSL_PORT=5671
CONFIG_AMQP_SSL_CERT_FILE=/etc/pki/tls/certs/amqp_selfcert.pem
CONFIG_AMQP_SSL_KEY_FILE=/etc/pki/tls/private/amqp_selfkey.pem
CONFIG_AMQP_SSL_SELF_SIGNED=y
CONFIG_AMQP_AUTH_USER=amqp_user
CONFIG_AMQP_AUTH_PASSWORD=10c8e15e798e494d
CONFIG_KEYSTONE_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_KEYSTONE_DB_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_KEYSTONE_ADMIN_TOKEN=03bf026a2b9d42ec8556d07729740993
CONFIG_KEYSTONE_ADMIN_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_KEYSTONE_DEMO_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_KEYSTONE_TOKEN_FORMAT=PKI
CONFIG_GLANCE_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_GLANCE_DB_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_GLANCE_KS_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_CINDER_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_CINDER_DB_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_CINDER_KS_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_CINDER_BACKEND=lvm
CONFIG_CINDER_VOLUMES_CREATE=y
CONFIG_CINDER_VOLUMES_SIZE=20G
CONFIG_CINDER_GLUSTER_MOUNTS=
CONFIG_CINDER_NFS_MOUNTS=
CONFIG_NOVA_API_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_NOVA_CERT_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_NOVA_VNCPROXY_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_NOVA_COMPUTE_HOSTS=192.168.0.21
CONFIG_NOVA_CONDUCTOR_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_NOVA_DB_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_NOVA_KS_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_NOVA_SCHED_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_NOVA_SCHED_CPU_ALLOC_RATIO=16.0
CONFIG_NOVA_SCHED_RAM_ALLOC_RATIO=1.5
CONFIG_NOVA_COMPUTE_PRIVIF=em2
CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_HOSTS=192.168.0.21
CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_MANAGER=nova.network.manager.FlatDHCPManager
CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_PUBIF=em1
CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_PRIVIF=em2
CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_FIXEDRANGE=10.0.0.0/22
CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_FLOATRANGE=192.168.20.0/24
CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_DEFAULTFLOATINGPOOL=nova
CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_AUTOASSIGNFLOATINGIP=n
CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_VLAN_START=100
CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_NUMBER=1
CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_SIZE=254
CONFIG_NEUTRON_SERVER_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_NEUTRON_KS_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_NEUTRON_DB_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_NEUTRON_L3_HOSTS=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_NEUTRON_L3_EXT_BRIDGE=br-ex
CONFIG_NEUTRON_DHCP_HOSTS=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_NEUTRON_LBAAS_HOSTS=
CONFIG_NEUTRON_L2_PLUGIN=openvswitch
CONFIG_NEUTRON_METADATA_HOSTS=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_NEUTRON_METADATA_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_NEUTRON_ML2_TYPE_DRIVERS=local
CONFIG_NEUTRON_ML2_TENANT_NETWORK_TYPES=local
CONFIG_NEUTRON_ML2_MECHANISM_DRIVERS=openvswitch
CONFIG_NEUTRON_ML2_FLAT_NETWORKS=*
CONFIG_NEUTRON_ML2_VLAN_RANGES=
CONFIG_NEUTRON_ML2_TUNNEL_ID_RANGES=
CONFIG_NEUTRON_ML2_VXLAN_GROUP=
CONFIG_NEUTRON_ML2_VNI_RANGES=
CONFIG_NEUTRON_L2_AGENT=openvswitch
CONFIG_NEUTRON_LB_TENANT_NETWORK_TYPE=local
CONFIG_NEUTRON_LB_VLAN_RANGES=
CONFIG_NEUTRON_LB_INTERFACE_MAPPINGS=
CONFIG_NEUTRON_OVS_TENANT_NETWORK_TYPE=vxlan
CONFIG_NEUTRON_OVS_VLAN_RANGES=physnet1
CONFIG_NEUTRON_OVS_BRIDGE_MAPPINGS=physnet1:br-ex
CONFIG_NEUTRON_OVS_BRIDGE_IFACES=
CONFIG_NEUTRON_OVS_TUNNEL_RANGES=1:3000
CONFIG_NEUTRON_OVS_TUNNEL_IF=eth1
CONFIG_NEUTRON_OVS_VXLAN_UDP_PORT=4789
CONFIG_OSCLIENT_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_HORIZON_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_HORIZON_SSL=n
CONFIG_SSL_CERT=
CONFIG_SSL_KEY=
CONFIG_SWIFT_PROXY_HOSTS=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_SWIFT_KS_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_SWIFT_STORAGE_HOSTS=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_SWIFT_STORAGE_ZONES=1
CONFIG_SWIFT_STORAGE_REPLICAS=1
CONFIG_SWIFT_STORAGE_FSTYPE=ext4
CONFIG_SWIFT_HASH=606f14f8a4474af3
CONFIG_SWIFT_STORAGE_SIZE=2G
CONFIG_PROVISION_DEMO=n
CONFIG_PROVISION_TEMPEST=n
CONFIG_PROVISION_DEMO_FLOATRANGE=192.168.20.0/24
CONFIG_PROVISION_TEMPEST_REPO_URI=https://github.com/openstack/tempest.git
CONFIG_PROVISION_TEMPEST_REPO_REVISION=master
CONFIG_PROVISION_ALL_IN_ONE_OVS_BRIDGE=n
CONFIG_HEAT_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_HEAT_DB_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_HEAT_AUTH_ENC_KEY=6282b556fce5463a
CONFIG_HEAT_KS_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_HEAT_CLOUDWATCH_INSTALL=n
CONFIG_HEAT_CFN_INSTALL=n
CONFIG_HEAT_CLOUDWATCH_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_HEAT_CFN_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_CEILOMETER_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_CEILOMETER_SECRET=6393b48eeeea415e
CONFIG_CEILOMETER_KS_PW=qweqwe
CONFIG_MONGODB_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_NAGIOS_HOST=192.168.0.37
CONFIG_NAGIOS_PW=qweqwe