[Openstack] Please help with this architecture

Eric Berg eberg at rubensteintech.com
Mon Jun 16 20:19:07 UTC 2014

I'm trying to implement this architecture:

  * RDO on CentOS 6.5 installed via packstack
  * nova networking.  Not neutron.
  * flat network
  * one control host (single NIC)
  * initially, one compute host with another to be added ( 2 NICs)
  * My internal office network is 192.168.0.0/16, and 192.168.20.0/24 is
    dedicated to the floating IPs for our OpenStack cloud

Much of the network documentation leaves out on which host the specific
configs are to be done, so it's not clear to me how to prepare my hosts
for openstack installation.  There are indications that some nics should
have no IP address assigned but rather be part of a bridge which has the
IP address, but the docs are vague about that and different
architectures seem to need different configs.

Packstack may be complicating things -- at least in my mind -- since I'm
not sure what network configuration puppet is implementing via packstack
and what I have to do before the install.

My primary question is, "How do I set up my network before installation?"

My Ethernet interfaces are em1 and em2.  Here's my understanding at this
point:

  * I will use em1 as the management interface, which I should configure
    with an IP address (already has this address...just leave this
    interface as is)
  * The em2 interface is the one that will interface with my VMs via a
    bridge (br100), so that interface should not have an IP address,
    because the bridge will.

What parts of this have to be set up before the installation?

Thanks!

Eric