[Openstack] Adapting the install guide network setup for production

Daniel Petersen daniel.petersen at hpc2n.umu.se
Wed Jun 11 08:36:28 UTC 2014

Hi,

Using the network strategy from the 'Installation Guide for Ubuntu' here:

http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/install-guide/install/apt/content/basics-networking-neutron.html

How might one adapt this for a production setup, perhaps in the context of
security?

What are the needed configuration changes for such an adaptation?

A couple of thoughts that lead me to throwing this question out to the
mailing list:

*With the controller node having only one NIC, all management communication
is passing through the same NIC as user API or dashboard traffic. Wouldn't
it be better to move user facing services, such as the dashboard to another
'external' interface, thus keeping the management network and interface
isolated from external traffic?

*Possibly related, how would the API service endpoint URLs be affected by
this change, or how should they be configured? (publicurl, internalurl,
adminurl) As an aside, where might I find a good explanation of the
respective roles of these URLs?

Regards,

Daniel