[Openstack] Improving the OpenStack Community Code of Conduct

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Jun 5 18:33:09 UTC 2014

hello all

while we're getting ready to launch the OpenStack Groups portal I
noticed that we have multiple 'code of conducts' and we should probably
merge them into one to clarify things.

There are two classes of OpenStack CoCs, one inspired by Ubuntu's CoC
version 1 and another more comprehensive document used for OpenStack
Summits.

Here are the main URLs:

 -  Appendix 6 in Foundation's bylaws
    - http://www.openstack.org/legal/community-code-of-conduct/
	- cloned also on https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Conduct
	(probably somewhere else, too --wikis)

 - Summit events Code of Conduct
    -
https://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-summit-atlanta-2014/the-openstack-summit-code-of-conduct/
	- which refers to Appendix 6

Appendix 6 is our 'original' document, lean and simple but it has
shortcomings: it's not very clear on what is acceptable/unacceptable
behavior and, mostly, doesn't say what to do if one thinks the code has
been violated.

The Summit Code of Conduct is a lot more explicit, provides examples of
what is unacceptable, lists points of contact to report violations and
the protocol that will be followed for investigation.

Problem is that Appendix 6 cannot be changed easily*.  I suggest that we
put on one single web page a Code of Conduct based on what we use for
Summit events, make that text a bit more general so that Summits can
reuse it, keep the reference to Appendix 6. The end result should be a
complete and modern Code of Conduct for the whole community to use,
online and offline, for all events using the OpenStack brand.

I gave a first stab at this: feel free to add comments on the review:

https://review.openstack.org/98205

if you're interested to discuss this topic more, please follow up on the
community mailing list (hopefully the reply-to I set will help) and feel
free to grab me or Tom during Community Office Hours
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/Community

Cheers,
/stef

* requires a vote by thousands of Foundation Members.