[Openstack] migrate volume

Walsh, Helen helen.walsh at emc.com
Wed Jun 4 15:23:06 UTC 2014

Hi All,
I would really appreciate some guidance on migrate volume(storage-assisted volume migration).  I have a multi backend environment where each volume type has a volume_backend_name extra spec.  When I do a migrate to move my volume from one backend(host) to another it fails saying there are no hosts available.  On tracing the issue I see the volume_backend_name is the problem.  The value of volume_backend_name will always be different from source to target, but openstack blocks the operation from proceeding because of this difference.

>From the logs...
2014-06-04 07:35:03.696 30454 INFO cinder.openstack.common.scheduler.filters.capabilities_filter [req-bebd425b-36bc-43df-9372-b38b803869ec None] extra_spec requirement 'VMAX_FC_SILVER' does not match 'VMAX_FC_GOLD'

Thank you in advance
Helen