[Openstack] No mouse control for a Windows 7 instance

Ernest Bisson ebisson at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 21 19:57:18 UTC 2014

Hi.

I setup a small test/development environment to get familiar with setting
up an OpenStack environment. It consists of 1 network, 1 controller, and 1
compute node. Within it I imported/launched the Cirros test image, a Redhat
6.5 install iso image, and a Windows 7 qcow2 image (the KVM I run on my
RedHat laptop) . Everything seems to work fine except accessing the Windows
7 console. After initiating a console connection via "nova get-vnc-console
Windows7 novnc" I'm able to connect to it from Firefox but I don't have any
control of the VM's mouse. When doing the same with the RedHat 6.5 image
the VM's mouse moves along with my laptop's mouse. I did find the following
in /etc/nova/nova.conf but enabling it and restarting the compute node had
no effect.

# Sync virtual and real mouse cursors in Windows VMs (boolean
# value)
#use_usb_tablet=true

Can someone tell me how to get the mouse working for a Windows VM?

Thanks,
Ernie

----

Ernie Bisson