[Openstack] Question about OpenStack 2 nodes deployment

Brian Haley brian.haley at hp.com
Mon Jul 21 14:51:41 UTC 2014

On 7/21/14, 3:54 AM, BYEONG-GI KIM wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm now trying to deploy two nodes environment (Flat Network or VLAN
> Network) for OpenStack instead of 3 nodes which are generally considered
> as default and recommended deployment for the OpenStack. The major
> reason why I'm going to deploy such environment is performance issue.
>
> Anyway, here is a question; where should I put neutron-metadata-agent
> in, i.e., Compute Node or Controller Node?

The neutron-metadata-agent must be run on the network node since all the
metadata proxy processes that run in each router namespace must be able
to communicate with it via a Unix domain socket.

> As far as I know, the two node deployment has been supported by
> Devstack, and the metadata agent is installed in Controller Node. In
> this case, however, it seems that the meta data can not be High Available.
>
> I'd wanna deploy 2 nodes environment while inserting metadata-agent into
> either Compute Node or Controller Node and achieving HA.

I'm not sure how much HA you're going to get out of a two-node system if
one is solely a compute node, you'd need two network nodes as well.
Maybe you could describe how you were going to deploy things to achieve HA.

-Brian