[Openstack] And the K cycle will be named... Kilo !

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jul 17 08:54:23 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

The results of the poll are just in, and the winner proposal is "Kilo".

This option wins both in average ranking, and as the preferred 1st
option. "Kyoto" was the second preferred option.

OpenStack releases are generally named after cities (or US counties) in
the same country (or US state) as the corresponding summit. However,
when the resulting choice is poor (as was the case with "I" in Hong-Kong
and "K" in Paris), we extend the rules to include local street names
("Icehouse") or local reference landmarks.

Due to delays in candidate names selection, this release cycle was known
for too long as "K". "k" is the unit symbol for "kilo", a SI unit prefix
(derived from the Greek word χίλιοι which means "thousand"). "Kilo" is
often used as a shorthand for "kilogram", and the kilogram is the last
SI base unit to be tied to a reference artifact (stored near Paris in
the Pavillon de Breteuil in Sèvres).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)