[Openstack] lbaas members IPs vs instances

Aaron Knister aaron.knister at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 01:19:26 UTC 2014

Hi,

I just went to add a new member to an LBaaS pool in neutron and noticed
something that seemed strange to me-- one adds an IP address to the LBaaS
pool vs an OpenStack instance. This is in contrast to AWS where you do add
instances to ELB pools, not raw IP addresses. To me the benefit to
associating instances vs. IP addresses is that as your instances change
(new IP address, instance termination, etc.) one isn't left with cruft in
their LBaaS pool. Are there any plans in neutron to alter this behavior? I
understand if the current behavior won't be removed but it would be nice to
support instance ID association vs. IP address association.

Thanks!

-Aaron