[Openstack] ownCloud and openstack

Jason Bishop jason.bishop at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 23:42:04 UTC 2014

Hi Frank, I have to say ownCloud is really nicely done.  i have been in
need of a file share which has native linux client support and a really
robust storage backend.  ownCloud with swift meets the requirements.  I do
have a comment which mirrors Hugo's comments I think.  Is it feasible to
have the concept of users in ownCloud more closely match up with swift's
concept?  It would be nice if the backend storage for each user was stored
in that user's swift account.  I'm sure it will add complexity to user
management and authentication but the advantages of separation of user data
may offset that.

I did some testing on ubuntu trusty against an ubuntu trusty icehouse
openstack.  I updated the config file and didn't get it quite right the
first time.  The error in the admin gui told me what the problem was (I had
wrong string in for the region attribute) so that worked nice.

I stood up an instance of trusty and installed the owncloud client and
copied some files into the shared directory.

a 2gb file worked fine.  when i tried a 7gb file I got this error message,
so I think the code in ownCloud does not handle > 5GB files in swift.  It
also looks like it keeps retrying the upload over and over.  i'll watch it
to see if it eventually gives up and errors out.

Fatal webdav Exception: #9 {main} 2014-07-12T16:11:43+00:00
Fatal webdav Exception: #8 /var/www/html/owncloud/remote.php(52):
require_once('/var/www/html/o...') 2014-07-12T16:11:43+00:00
Fatal webdav Exception: #7
/var/www/html/owncloud/apps/files/appinfo/remote.php(61):
Sabre\DAV\Server->exec() 2014-07-12T16:11:43+00:00
Fatal webdav Exception: #6
/var/www/html/owncloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/Sabre/DAV/Server.php(214):
Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod('PUT', '7gigafile-chunk...')
2014-07-12T16:11:43+00:00
Fatal webdav Exception: #5
/var/www/html/owncloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/Sabre/DAV/Server.php(474):
call_user_func(Array, '7gigafile-chunk...') 2014-07-12T16:11:43+00:00
Fatal webdav Exception: #4 [internal function]:
Sabre\DAV\Server->httpPut('7gigafile-chunk...') 2014-07-12T16:11:43+00:00
Fatal webdav Exception: #3
/var/www/html/owncloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/Sabre/DAV/Server.php(900):
Sabre\DAV\Server->createFile('7gigafile-chunk...', Resource id #17, NULL)
2014-07-12T16:11:43+00:00
Fatal webdav Exception: #2
/var/www/html/owncloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/Sabre/DAV/Server.php(1647):
OC_Connector_Sabre_Directory->createFile('7gigafile-chunk...', Resource id
#17) 2014-07-12T16:11:43+00:00
Fatal webdav Exception: #1
/var/www/html/owncloud/lib/private/connector/sabre/directory.php(76):
OC_Connector_Sabre_File->put(Resource id #17) 2014-07-12T16:11:43+00:00
Fatal webdav Sabre\DAV\Exception: Could not rename part file assembled from
chunks 2014-07-12T16:11:43+00:00
Error webdav \OC\Files\Filesystem::rename() failed 2014-07-12T16:11:43+00:00
Error objectstore Could not create object: Client error response [status
code] 413 [reason phrase] Request Entity Too Large [url]
http://openstack-swiftproxy.stanford.edu:8080/v1/AUTH_78043e536430433fae0318b0ac1040ff/owncloud2/urn:oid:1163

I will continue testing and let you know if I find anything else.  I am
still using just http connection for keystone and swift services.  I will
pull proper https certificates and check ssl plumbing is working fine.

After that my next steps will probably be authentication and LDAP related.

Jason