[Openstack] [Swift] Running out of ports or fds?

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Fri Jul 11 18:38:23 UTC 2014

As Pete mentioned, since Swift can use a lot of sockets and fds when the system is under load. Take a look at http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/deployment_guide.html#general-system-tuning for some sysctl settings that can help. Also, note that if you start Swift as root (it can drop permissions), it will set the system limits for file descriptors. You may need to use ulimit to increase the number of fds available.

--John