[Openstack] [Swift] Running out of ports or fds?

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 15:05:44 UTC 2014

On Tue, 8 Jul 2014 16:26:10 -0700
Shrinand Javadekar <shrinand at maginatics.com> wrote:

> I see that these servers do not use a persistent http connection
> between them. So every blob get/put/delete request will create a new
> connection, use it and tear it down. In a highly concurrent
> environment with thousands of such operations happening per second,
> there could be two problems:

It's a well-known problem in Swift. Operators with proxies driving
sufficient traffic for it to manifest set sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse.

There were attempts to reuse connections, but they floundered upon
the complexities of actually implementing a connection cache.
Keep in mind that you still have to allow simultaneous connections
to the same node for concurrency. It snowballs quickly.

-- Pete