[Openstack] Swift generating thousands of rsyncs per second on a small cluster

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 22:44:20 UTC 2014

Ah, your part power is too high for that few devices.  I would have
recommend 14 rather than 18.  Which is good enough to scale up to ~500
devices before you might worry about maybe running into balancing issues
that *could* make it difficult to run your cluster more than 70-80% full,
but at that point it's 20-40 servers anyway and your disks are probably 6TB
or more.  Anyway, thats in the future.  In the meantime you've got your
object notes sorta overloaded and thrashing...

You could set run_pause in the [object-replicator] section of
object-server.conf to like 300 or 600 or something to put them to sleep
after a cycle if you don't expect many changes/failures going on in the
"cluster".

How much data do you have?  Can you migrate it to a new cluster with a ring
better suited for that smaller scale?