[Openstack] [Neutron] asymetric DHCP brokenness on tenant GRE networks

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Thu Jan 30 18:11:04 UTC 2014

Still can't quite sort this out but I am circling in on where the problem is.

To recap bootpc and arp requests from instances using GRE tenant
networks are not making it onto the physical network,  I suspect this
is "all broadcast traffic".  If IP is configured statically and the
arp cache is set (by pinging from the other end, network controller in
this case) I can communicate over the link, until the arp cache times
out...

By fiddling with ovs port mirroring I've been able to determine where
the packets disappear from my expected path (and verified that packets
are visible at these point when traffic is passing):

tap (has packets) -> patch-tun (has packets) -> patch-int (still
there) -> gre-<N> (no packets) -> eth0 (no packets)

\___________________________________/
\_____________________________________/    (GRE wrapped)

                        br-int
                 br-tun                                          IP of
tunnel endpoint

That will probably get mangled by line wrapping but packets make it to
the tunnel bridge, br-tun, on the patch-int interface but do not make
it onto the gre-<n> interface.  This is consistent across multiple GRE
networks including newly created ones.  The provider VLAN networks
most of our instances use function normally (on a much different
path), and GRE used to work definitely with Grizzly though not sure if
they broke on upgrade or since then as they're not widely used.

so my basic question remains WTF?

-Jon