[Openstack] [Neutron] asymetric DHCP brokenness on tenant GRE networks

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Wed Jan 29 16:20:09 UTC 2014

I also notice ARPs are asysmetric.  arp requests from the instance
don't end up on the wire, but arp requests from the network controller
do make it to the instance and the responses make it back.  So once
the network controller has made contact and it's MAC is in the
instance ARP cache then things work both ways...

I expect my path to be somehting like this off the compute node, where
eth0 is the physical device with a route to the tunnel endoint of
gre-<n>, is htis correct?

tap -> patch-tun -> patch-int -> gre-<n> -> ethN
     br-int              br-tun

however I can't tcpdump on the patch or gre devices....

# tcpdump -i patch-tun
tcpdump: patch-tun: No such device exists

is there a way to do this?  Right now I can only see what's happening
at the beginning (tap) and end (ethN)