[Openstack] How to enable jumbo frames for instances ?

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 16:56:00 UTC 2014

(these comments are from work we did with nova-network a while ago. These
comments are only focused on the underlying kvm performance, not the
gymnastics to get neutron to build out the right configuration)

We've seen similar performance (around 3 Gbps) for GRE tunnels on machines
that can easily flatten 10GE in more efficient configurations, and the
right tuning. With vlan or untagged bridges, we could easily saturate a
10GE link from a single VM with multiple streams. The main difference that
we saw with this was a drop in single stream TCP performance, as you'd
expect. We were only able to get about 4 gbit out of one stream, where we
could get upwards of 9 on bare metal.

I get that GRE is easy to test with, and it is probably easier to setup,
but I don't think it makes sense to be a default configuration choice. The
performance implications of that choice are pretty serious.

Incidentally, you'll need to do more than just tuning the MTU if you want
good performance; you'll need to increase your buffers, window size, etc.
Full details for what we did are are:
 -
http://buriedlede.blogspot.com/2012/11/driving-100-gigabit-network-with.html
Much of the tuning was cribbed from here:
 - http://fasterdata.es.net/host-tuning/linux/

hth
 -nld