[Openstack] Unable to launch a vm

Gerard, Anne-Claire anne-claire.gerard at capgemini.com
Thu Jan 23 11:03:38 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have followed the guide "OpenStack Installation Guide for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, and Fedora  - havana" and I am trying to launch an instance.

The configuration has three nodes with CentOs 6.5, one controller node, one networker node and one compute node.
The controller node hosts the following services:
 - glance
 - rabbitmq
 - keystone
 - nova-scheduler
 - nova-api
 - nova-cert
 - nova-consoleauth
 - neutron server
The networker node hosts the following services:
 - neutron-openvswith-agent
 - neutron-dhcp-agent
 - neutron-l3-agent
 - neutron-metadata-agent
The computer node hosts the following services:
 - neutron-openvswitch-agent
 - libvirt
 - nova-compute

I am using nova without the conductor, I wasn't able to make it work (suspicious log in compute.log on compute node:
WARNING nova.conductor.api [req-554e681f-2705-4503-b6f0-2d1db62d6e6d None None] Timed out waiting for nova-conductor. Is it running? Or did this service start before nova-conductor?
). So, I have configured nova with the use_local=true configuration option in nova.conf files.

When trying to boot an instance, the VM is stuck in scheduling and nothing happens.
To launch the instance, I am running the command
nova boot --flavor 1 --key_name mykey --image 4a784fde-cb0c-4cc6-af59-507748aa9247 --security_group default test

I have been trying to track what is happening mainly by investigating the logs. So far, what I have understood is:
  - request is being received by nova-api on controller node
  - nova-api sends a message through rabbitmq to the scheduler
  - nova-scheduler determines the host on which the vm should be launched (computer node)
  - nova-scheduler sends a message through rabbitmq with routing key compute.computer
and that's it. In rabbitmq I have seen the message compute.computer but I have no idea who consumes it.
There is no error in the different logs and there is no log at all for neutron services on networker node nor for nova-compute on computer node.

Can anyone tell me what is the problem?

Thanks,
Anne-Claire