[Openstack] How to get the MAC Address in Openstack

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Tue Jan 21 16:42:25 UTC 2014

Hi Varun,

As Garry said you can pre create ports with specific mac addresses and
then assign them to instances if you are using neutron for networking.
 The Horizon dash board does not provide an interface to either of
these actions but the command line tools do.

the 'port-create' sub command of 'neutron' takes options for
--mac-address and --fixed-ip among many others run `neutron help
port-create` for more details

once you have created the ports you can pass the port IDs in to 'nova
boot --nic port-id-<port-uuid> <then the rest of the options for your
instance>'

I use this to provide a fixed MAC address for my node locked flexlm
server that identifies it's authorized node by mac address.  Note you
can specify whatever you want here but it is up to you to avoid
conflicts on the same network segment if you start statically
assigning MAC addrs.  Neutron won't create conflicts but I don't know
if it will prevent you from doing so.

-Jon