[Openstack] [Nova] libvirtError: Failed to terminate process X with SIGKILL: Device or resource busy

sylecn sylecn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 12:10:46 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Under some conditions, I see this error in nova show <id>.

| fault                                | {u'message': u'Failed to terminate
process 956 with SIGKILL: Device or resource busy', u'code': 500,
u'created': u'2014-01-21T10:10:32Z'} |

After that delete/reboot/destroy/rebuild that instance will all fail. The
only way I know to get rid of that state is to reboot the hypervisor.

Here are the relevant logs:
libvirt.log
2014-01-21 10:10:32.607+0000: 2175: error : virProcessKillPainfully:315 :
Failed to terminate process 956 with SIGKILL: Device or resource busy

How can I get the instance deleted without rebooting the hypervisor? Is
this a bug in libvirt?

The software I am running:
os: ubuntu 12.04.3
hypervisor kernel: 3.8.0-35-generic
openstack: havana
libvirt: 1.1.1-0ubuntu8~cloud2

I don't know how to reproduce this error yet, but it has happened before.

Thanks,
Yuanle