[Openstack] How to get the MAC Address in Openstack

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Tue Jan 21 09:23:13 UTC 2014

Hi Varun,

When Neutron is enabled, the last 3 octects of the MAC address are randomly
generated.
This is for avoiding clashes when instances are created concurrently and
for preventing potentially malicious users from guessing other users' MAC
addresses.

Any change to this logic will need code changes, as the algorithm for MAC
generation is not currently configurable.
The first three octects can instead be specified in a configuration file
and, as you wrote, default to fa:16:3e

It is my understanding that nova-network adopts a similar logic.

Regards,
Salvatore