[Openstack] [Nova] What is the correct way to provide Windows instance password for user?

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Sun Jan 19 07:32:12 UTC 2014

Hello,

We've used this in the past:

https://github.com/jordanrinke/openstack

It allows a user to type in an Administrator password in the Post Config
text box when launching an instance in Horizon. The password is then
retrieved when Windows first boots via the metadata service.

We stopped using it for two reasons, though:

1. The password was permanently stored in the metadata server
2. There was no (default) way to let the user know that the password they
chose was not a strong enough password

We now just have users connect to the VNC console and set the password upon
first boot.

There have been a few discussions over the past year on the
openstack-operators list about the cloudbase Windows cloud-init service. I
think one or two people have been able to get the password injection
portion working. It might be worth a shot to search the archives:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/operators/

Joe