[Openstack] How OpenStack projects codenames are chosen?

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Sat Jan 18 00:46:05 UTC 2014

On 01/17/2014 01:08 PM, Andriy Yurchuk wrote:
> I'm wondering what is the process of choosing a codename for an
> OpenStack project (I mean Nova, Glance etc.)? Is there a
> public/internal voting held or is it a decision of a project lead?

There is not a very "formal" process for those names. Usually it's the
development team that makes a proposal for a codename, the proposed name
is run by the OpenStack Foundation for a very superficial check to
exclude the most obvious trademark issues and if none are found, the
name gets baked into a git repository, gerrit, etc.

Are you thinking of proposing a new project? Make sure you're familiar
with the governance pages on the wiki, like:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/NewProjects

/stef