[Openstack] Fwd: [nova] [rfc] drop XML from v3 API entirely

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jan 16 12:22:07 UTC 2014

On 01/15/2014 10:41 PM, Tom Fifield wrote:
> On 15/01/14 22:02, Russell Bryant wrote:
>> On 01/13/2014 08:52 PM, Tom Fifield wrote:
>>> According to the most recent user survey, more than 30% of users consume
>>> the XML API.
>>
>> Do you have a reference with more detail on this?  Simply "30%" doesn't
>> really mean much without more detail on what the question was, what the
>> choices where, how many answered the question, etc ...
>
> Survey questions can of course be found at
> https://www.openstack.org/user-survey/. This particular one was found on
> the second page of the "About your OpenStack Deployments" section:
>
> """
> What formats do you use for the API?
> [X] XML
> [X] JSON
> """
>
> From the data from 2013-10-11:
>
> 30.67% of survey takers ticked XML
> 69.32% of survey takers ticked JSON
>
> of course this question allowed overlap - the ticking of both boxes. The
> overlap is 17.17% (or, if you prefer - 13.49% "pure" XML, and 52% "pure"
> JSON)
>

> 83% of deployments answered this question. As a comparison, this is a
> similar number to how many answered the "hypervisors" question (87%).

That also assumes that survey responders understood the question the way
we are interpreting it. The actual question should have been:

What toolkits do you use to interface with the OpenStack API?
 * OpenStack command line (i.e. nova cli)
 * openstack python libraries
 * jclouds
 * deltacloud
 * other - please specify
 * none - wrote our own

If you wrote your own toolkit for accessing the OpenStack API what wire
format are you using?
 * JSON
 * XML

If you wrote your own toolkit for accessing the OpenStack API what
programming language did you write it in?
 * C/C++
 * C#
 * Java
 * Python
 * Perl
 * PHP
 * Ruby
 * Other (please specify)

Because the question as worded assumes far too much shared context and
understanding in what we were looking for. We all understood what we
wanted, but didn't unroll that in a specific enough way in the user survey.