[Openstack] [Neutron] auto configration of local_ip

NOTSU Arata notsu at virtualtech.jp
Thu Jan 16 08:41:52 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to add a new configuration option for Neutron OVS agent. Although I've submitted a patch and it is being reviewed [1], I'm posting to this mailing list seeking opinion from a wider range.

At present, when you deploy an environment using Neutron + OVS + GRE/VXLAN, you have to set local_ip for tunnelling in neutron agent config (typically ovs_neutron_plugin.ini). As each host has different local_ip, preparing and maintaining the config files is a cumbersome work.

So, I would like to introduce automatic configuration of local_ip in Neutron. Although such a management should be done by some management system, Neutron having this feature cloud be also helpful to the deployment system. It would reduce the need for the systems to implement such a feature on their own.

Anyway, with this feature, instead of setting an actual IP address to local_ip, you set some options (criteria) for choosing an IP address suitable for local_ip among IP addresses assigned to the host. At runtime, OVS agent will choose an IP address according to the criteria. You will get the same effect as you set local_ip=<the IP address> by hand.

The question is, what criteria is appropriate for the purpose. The criteria being mentioned so far in the review are:

1. assigned to the interface attached to default gateway
2. being in the specified network (CIDR)
3. assigned to the specified interface
   (1 can be considered a special case of 3)

Any comment would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Arata

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64253/