[Openstack] Announcement of System Compass Golden Image and Code Base

Yang Shuo (Shuo) shuo.yang at huawei.com
Wed Jan 15 23:05:13 UTC 2014

Dear Stackers,

We gave a talk during last OpenStack summit held in HongKong about our System Compass, a tool we initially developed to facilitate our internal OpenStack deployment, an MVP for ourselves (btw, we believe we are a group of practitioners of Eric Ries' "Lean Startup"), which later on we used for some of our friendly customers' OpenStack cluster auto-deployment. As we promised in the conference, we send this email to announce the code base is available, and you can find all System Compass related information at http://www.syscompass.org/ including our brief introduction video in HongKong.

1.       For users to get started with Compass, please follow this instruction http://www.syscompass.org/user.html to play with our golden image based environment to get a sense of what we did.

2.       For developers, please see our API http://www.syscompass.org/apirefs/overview.html reference. Moreover, our code is 100% Apache 2.0, and we would love to see how we can help on some missing parts in the current system.

3.       We have been thinking of how to work with OpenStack community to make it more robust and stronger, and it has always been our goal from day one when we chose OpenStack as our first research cluster (our dogfood). Here are some of our initial thoughts https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Compass#Compass_Use_Cases , we would love to hear feedback from related communities so that we can figure out a most efficient way for us to help out.

We want to use this opportunity to thank all the community members who talked to us and gave us constructive suggestions and feedbacks, and we would like to thank OpenStack infrastructure team for guiding us migrating to the Stackforge and CI infrastructure. We look forward to continuing working with you under this context.

Thanks,
Shuo