[Openstack] Fwd: [nova] [rfc] drop XML from v3 API entirely

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jan 15 14:26:43 UTC 2014

On 01/15/2014 09:02 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 01/13/2014 08:52 PM, Tom Fifield wrote:
>> According to the most recent user survey, more than 30% of users consume
>> the XML API.
>
> Do you have a reference with more detail on this?  Simply "30%" doesn't
> really mean much without more detail on what the question was, what the
> choices where, how many answered the question, etc ...

Right, it's also an odd question. Because I'm not sure which SDKs
actually talks to the XML interface (python does not, and I didn't think
jclouds did either). I doubt that 30% of the OpenStack users wrote their
own client library to talk to the API.

So we really need the next layer on this to call it valid statistics.
Because 100% of users are using the JSON API (given that OpenStack
components talk between each other on JSON only). And you have to go out
of your way to us XML.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague