[Openstack] Force volume on same host as VM

Swapnil Kulkarni swapnilkulkarni2608 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 09:05:44 UTC 2014

Currently both blueprints are targeted for icehouse-2. Code for [2] is in
review and for [1] you can always contact person assigned or update
whiteboard requesting information.

[1]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/local-storage-volume-scheduling
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/cinder-force-host

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Thomas Thrainer <thomasth at google.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I read through the BPs and especially the first one ("Create volume in
> same host in which vm instance is running") seems to be implementing what I
> want. Where can I get information about the status of the implementation of
> the BPs? Will they be integrated in Icehouse? The Launchpad pages don't
> quite answer this...
>

> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Shake Chen <shake.chen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/local-storage-volume-scheduling
>>

>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/cinder-force-host
>>
>> the two blueprint can solve your problem.
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Thomas Thrainer <thomasth at google.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I try to figure out how to force cinder volumes on the same host as the
>>> VM it is attached to (or will be attached to). OTOH, I would still like to
>>> take advantage of nova-scheduler for automatic host selection for VMs. I
>>> don't want to use an availability zone per host, because then the host
>>> selection would have to be done by the API client. So I'm wondering what
>>> the best solution for this use-case might be.
>>>
>>> While researching, I stumbled upon topology aware placement [0] which
>>> seems interesting, but I couldn't find any further information about the
>>> status of it. Also, there seems to be some effort going into building a
>>> central scheduler instead of having nova-scheduler and cinder-scheduler
>>> [1][2], but again, I couldn't figure out what the current status of this is.
>>>
>>> So, my question is if this use-case will be better supported in the
>>> future (Icehouse maybe already?), and how a workaround could look like for
>>> now.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot,
>>> Thomas
>>>
>>> [0]: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/HavanaTopologyAwarePlacement