[Openstack] Force volume on same host as VM

Thomas Thrainer thomasth at google.com
Thu Jan 9 09:26:07 UTC 2014

Hi,

I try to figure out how to force cinder volumes on the same host as the VM
it is attached to (or will be attached to). OTOH, I would still like to
take advantage of nova-scheduler for automatic host selection for VMs. I
don't want to use an availability zone per host, because then the host
selection would have to be done by the API client. So I'm wondering what
the best solution for this use-case might be.

While researching, I stumbled upon topology aware placement [0] which seems
interesting, but I couldn't find any further information about the status
of it. Also, there seems to be some effort going into building a central
scheduler instead of having nova-scheduler and cinder-scheduler [1][2], but
again, I couldn't figure out what the current status of this is.

So, my question is if this use-case will be better supported in the future
(Icehouse maybe already?), and how a workaround could look like for now.

Thanks a lot,
Thomas

[0]: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/HavanaTopologyAwarePlacement
[1]:
https://www.mail-archive.com/openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org/msg07981.html
[2]:
http://openstack.10931.n7.nabble.com/cinder-metrics-with-nova-scheduler-tt22974.html#a23038

--
Thomas Thrainer | Software Engineer | thomasth at google.com |

Google Germany GmbH
Dienerstr. 12
80331 München

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth Flores