[Openstack] out of band issue in devstack

rash g rashg164 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 14:35:19 UTC 2014

Hello,
        I have launched an image(i.e a virtual machine) through
devstack by the name  vm1 and it is running. When viewed from the kvm
virtual machine manager the instance name is taken as
instance-0000001. Now I try stopping this vm(instance) from kvm
virtual machine manager but the virtual machine manager doesnt allow
me to do so.

Also it does not allow to start the instance - 'instance-000001' from
kvm virtual machine manager.

But when I change the name of this virtual machine as vm1 from
instance-000001 in kvm virtual machine manager, I am able to perform
start, stop operations from kvm virtual machine manager but these
changes are not reflected on devstack dashboard.i.e the vm1 appears to
be in shutoff state  in devstack dashboard even if it is started from
virtual machine manager.

How to solve this out of band issue? Or is it because there is
conflict in the name?

I would be glad if anyone can help.

Thanks,
Rashmi