[Openstack] Neutron port-create command

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Tue Jan 7 15:03:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 12:22 AM, Ageeleshwar Kandavelu
<Ageeleshwar.Kandavelu at csscorp.com> wrote:
> I am using neutron openvswitch plugin. I successfully created a port using
> neutron port-create, but I do not see the newly created port when I do
> 'ovs-vsctl show'. Is it that the port created is just a logical entity that
> just exists only in DB and only when a VM is launched It is created in
> openvswitch?

port-create creates the port in the database, it's on a 'real thing'
until it is associated with an instance.  At that point you can see it
in ovs tools.

Note you don't need to create ports if you associate in instance with
a network it will dynamically create ports that are removed on shut
down.  This is the more 'normal' use case.  I use port-create to get
static MAC addresses for certain node locked software services (flexlm
license server in my case), there are likely other uses and I wouldn't
be surprised if using pre defined ports could shave a few seconds off
start up times, but not personally certain about that.

-Jon