[Openstack] [nova] Problem building nova docs

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 6 19:25:34 UTC 2014

I am a newbie to OpenStack, and installed DevStack on Jan 2nd.  DevStack
installs olso.config and oslo.messaging, but not oslo.sphinx.  I am trying
for the first time to build the nova docs.  It fails with an
ExtensionException.  Here is a typescript of my second attempt:

ubuntu at raring-mjs-5:/opt/stack/nova$ python setup.py build_sphinx
[pbr] Excluding argparse: Python 2.6 only dependency
running build_sphinx
Running Sphinx v1.1.3
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 22, in <module>
    pbr=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/core.py", line 152, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 953, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 972, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "/opt/stack/pbr/pbr/packaging.py", line 752, in run
    setup_command.BuildDoc.run(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sphinx/setup_command.py", line
140, in run
    freshenv=self.fresh_env)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sphinx/application.py", line 114,
in __init__
    self.setup_extension(extension)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sphinx/application.py", line 250,
in setup_extension
    err)
sphinx.errors.ExtensionError: Could not import extension oslo.sphinx
(exception: No module named sphinx)

Should I expect to be able to build the nova docs in a DevStack
installation?  If so then what's going wrong here, and how do I fix it?

Thanks,
Mike