[Openstack] Fwd: [openstack] [keystone] [horizon] regions setup

Xu (Simon) Chen xchenum at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 17:32:47 UTC 2014

A few questions..

First, I am a little confused by this post:
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-ops/content/segregate_cloud.html

On the one hand, it says different regions should have no interactions
among them. On the other hand, it says keystone should be shared across
regions. I can see that sharing credentials is useful, but replicating
things like tokens across region seems to be a hassle to deal with - I
don't want to replicate the tokens that are specific to regions via WAN..

Second, I am confused about Horizon's multi-region support. There are two
ways of informing a horizon instance about multiple regions. One way is to
configure the AVAILABLE_REGIONS variable in local_settings.py, where I can
put keystone endpoints associated to different regions. Then something
would show up in the top right corner of horizon, that I can switch to a
different region, log in, and it works. The second way is to configure the
endpoints of another region in the keystone instance local to horizon.
Then, a drop down list would show up on the left side of the page, right
beneath the list of projects. This however doesn't work, since the
openstack_auth package seems to be performing a simple redirect assuming
the same token would work across regions (my two regions have completely
separate keystone deployments.)

Any ideas on the best practice here?

Thanks..